Of course to do FTP from the PC to the 400 without storing your password in a
text file you could build the text file on the fly!  The only problem then is
that when you type in your password it is displayed on the screen.  Of course
you could make the password the last thing you type in which would cut down on
the time that it would be displayed.  Create a .bat file with a name like
ftpas400.bat or similar and add this code below.  Then on a PC command line
type the name of the batch file.  If remote commands are enabled you could add
processing or send yourself or someone a message when the job was run or...etc.

Here's the code:

@echo off
rem - this command builds an ftp script file and then runs it.
rem - the ftp script file updates a file on the as400
rem - Bill Meecham 8/10/2001
rem _____________________________________________________________
rem - Required Parameters:  USERPROFILE PASSWORD FILENAME TARGETFILE
rem _____________________________________________________________
rem - clear the screen to remove the user name and password as soon as possible
& handle errors
rem _____________________________________________________________
cls
if "%1" == ""  goto cmdHelp
if "%1" == "-"  goto cmdHelp
if "%1" == "?"  goto cmdHelp
if "%2" == ""  goto cmdHelp
if "%3" == ""  goto cmdHelp
if "%4" == ""  goto cmdHelp
rem - start building the ftp script file
rem _____________________________________________________________
@echo prompt >> ftp.ftp
@echo verbose >> ftp.ftp
@echo open 10.1.254.25 >> ftp.ftp
@echo user %1 %2  >> ftp.ftp
@echo put  %3  %4 >> ftp.ftp
@echo quit >> ftp.ftp
rem _____________________________________________________________
rem - run the ftp script file
ftp -n -s:ftpexchange.ftp
rem _____________________________________________________________
rem - remove the script file!
del ftp.ftp
goto exit
rem _____________________________________________________________
:cmdHelp
echo --------------------------------------------------------------
echo ftp2iSeries command:
echo  This command is used to transfer a file
echo  from the PC to the AS400.
echo --------------------------------------------------------------
echo Command syntax:
echo  ftpExchange USERNAME PASSWORD FILENAME AS400FILE
echo --------------------------------------------------------------
echo   USERNAME  - The AS400 user name.
echo   PASSWORD  - The AS400 password for the user name.
echo   FILENAME  - The name of the CSV file that you have
echo               created on the PC.  Enter the full file name
echo               including the extension.
echo               Ex.  c:\myDirectory\assoc.csv
echo   AS400FILE  - The name of the as400 file that you want to
echo                           load the data to.
echo                        Enter the full file name
echo               Ex.  /qsys.lib/xmtest.lib/myFile.file/myMbr.mbr
echo   Additional help - Contact MIS department.
echo                                                   Bill Meecham
pause
rem cls
:exit