Sean,
You say you start TCP in the IPL attributes.  Is telnet starting there
also?  Telnet
server by default is configured autostart with TCP so it may be trying to
start
twice with the IPL attributes and with autostart servers(STRTCPSVR).

Other info on telnet...
And generally, QTVDEVICE jobs are started the very first time telnet is
started
after an IPL or QSYSWRK subsystem is started.   When telnet is started and
ended,
only the QTVTELNET jobs start and end.  The QTVTELNET jobs are the ones
that
start or end port 23(non-ssl) or 992(ssl) that can be seen in netstat in
Listen
when telnet is running.

Richard G Hartmann  IBM
IBM eServer Development for Telnet and Connect TCP applications
> Sean
>
> do you explicitly end TCP ? It may be that the startup/shutdown routines
> you put together for V4R*need to be revisited. I seem to remember messing
> with this stuff on just about every release and while I haven't checked
> V5R1 yet for anything specific it wouldn't surprise me if I had to fool
> with this again.
>
> You may need to go through checking how you start QSERVER, QSYSWRK, TCP ,
> TCP servers and Host servers all over again.
>
> Just another thing to look at :)
>
> Cheers
> Evan Harris
>
>Thank you very much for the offer!
>
>I don't see a joblog for QTVTELNET other than the one that ran all day
>yesterday with no problems and the one that is running now.  There is no
job
>that entered the system today with a status of OUTQ.
>Sean,
>
>TCP gets started after the backup with STRSBS QCTL which in turn starts
TCP