I'm very bummed out when my users complain in the cafeteria but not to me.

I'm even more bummed when I try to inquire as to the nature of the problem
only to hear that "the program sucks."  Said answer not being the height of
helpfulness, I then compound my mistake of trying to provide good service by
asking for specifics only to hear "I told so-and-so a year ago!"  Well,
so-and-so works in accounting and I don't, but that explanation goes over
like a lead balloon: "you both work for the same company, you think you
could talk once in a while."  Slipping into full-fledged depression now,
wondering why my job should entail personally asking each and every soul in
the organisation if they've had any feedback from user X, I complete my
public degradation by politely remarking that "I'm here now and listening
and truly want to help you.  What seems to be the problem?  Can you show
me?"

The devastatingly clever answer that reduces me to quivering jelly? "If you
can't figure it out for yourself I'm not going to tell you!  I don't have
the time to detail every stinking thing wrong with that program."  Dare I
ask if I could be treated to a lone example; perhaps just the most critical
thing that, if fixed would make user X happier?  "Nothing could fix it.  The
whole thing sucks.  Begone, foul maker of crud!"

Why did I post this abject example of my execrable attempt at a life?  It
seems too spooky that IBM programmers have the same experience as me!
Anyway, the question is this:

How do I make user X happier when user X is too angry to be able to
communicate even a single example of the flaws in my code?  If every mention
of the program enrages user X anew?  Should I hire a surrogate or will user
X remain steadfast in the belief that "nobody will listen anyway?"  My code
is already out there; I can't take it back.  I WANT to do usability testing
but user X is not interested in "wasting more time."  Can I ever make user X
happier?  What are the ramifications if I can't read user X's mind and make
user X happy?
  --buck 'depressed in Albany' calabro