I like to test my ups' to see what the message is.  If you're too nervous
to pull the plug to your ups it is time to dump your ups and get a
different one.  I've thrown the master breaker to the computer room a few
times to test the ups.  I like doing this with the new guys right after
we've entered the computer room using their pass key.  It controls
multiple iSeries and W2K servers.  I get a big kick out of watching the
newbies wet themselves.

CPF1816-System utility power failed at 020412144014.
CPF1817-System utility power restored at 020412144022.

Doing a DSPMSGD CPF1800 you'll find a plethora of power messages mixed in
with other messages

Then there is the SCNMSGF utility available at
http://www.bvstools.com/scnmsgf.html

Scanning for UPS I see:
Message    Sev Text
CPI0961     80 Uninterruptible power supply (UPS) no longer attached.
CPI0962     80 Uninterruptible power supply (UPS) now attached.
CPI0974     80 UPS has been bypassed.
CPI0975     80 UPS no longer bypassed.
CPPA73A      0 UPS Test Failure
CPPA73B      0 UPS unit part
CPPA73D      0 UPS Interface Failure
CPPA740      0 UPS Enable/Disable Failure
CPPA743      0 UPS CPM Failure
CPPA744      0 UPS Battery Failure
CPPA745      0 UPS Unit Failure
CPP073A     70 UPS Test Failure
CPP073D     70 UPS Interface Failure
CPP0730     70 UPS Enable/Disable Failure
CPP0733     70 UPS CPM Failure
CPP0734     70 UPS Battery Failure
CPP0735     70 UPS Unit Failure
CPP3502      0 UPS reported a battery low condition
CPP3504      0 UPS battery low condition turned off
CPP3505      0 UPS reported bypass no longer active

Scanning for power I see:
CPF1821     90 Power failure. System ending. Restart IPL will be ignored.
CPF3421     30 Attempting recovery from possible power loss on device &9.
CPF6A04     30 Device was powered off so open was not attempted.
CPG0545     20 Power of 10 for tick definition not correct.
CPIA959      0 Printing power on/off schedule.
CPI0961     80 Uninterruptible power supply (UPS) no longer attached.
CPI0962     80 Uninterruptible power supply (UPS) now attached.

Which brings up another good test.  Leave the power plug from your 400
into your UPS but remove the power warning interface cable from the UPS,
wait 20 seconds and plug it back in.  You should get CPI0961 and CPI0962

Benjamin Franklin

"Andy Nolen-Parkhouse" <aparkhouse@attbi.com>
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
04/29/2002 09:44 AM