Rob,

Yes, it is traditional.  I've always done it that way.  I don't however
think it is better processing the job message queue.  If all you are doing
is processing messages, the logic might be simpler, but much less
intuitive.

Checking a field for validity with a setll or chain is very intuitive.
calling some api or some kind of message processing routine isn't.  If you
mix the methods, it would become even less understandable.

a new programmer coming in to such a system might get the wrong idea that
no RI need be done by hand.  or, if they don't completely understand your
message routines, that none IS being done.  This is a little scary to me.

now, outside the box, if I had it all to do over again, starting on a clean
sheet of paper, I might consider doing all field RI checking that way, but
maintaining and adding to legacy stuff, the db RI is just an extra check on
what I do programmatically.  I'm in the box.

Rick