From: Andrew Borts [mailto:Andrewb@SETACORPORATION.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 4:21 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: 400 & RPG to the Net

Karl,
No problem - Today you are a hero.

You have Net.Data on your system - you just need to configure it & it
performs CGI macros for you.  It's free, and there's tons of resources
located @ http://www.ibm.com/netdata - where you can get the documentation
for the AS/400.  Or go to www.ignite400.org and look @ sample Macros - also
Craig Pelike has some sample macros that are really cool!

1) Download my presentation from Common (located @
http://www.ctlaltdel.org/CommonNetDataSpring02.pdf ).
2) Call existing RPG back end programs with it - using a Direct_Call
construct (explained in the presentation)
a. FYI - Net.Data calls RPG programs better then CL does...
3) Be  up & running & productive in Days - not months

All's you need is a person that is halfway descent @ designing web pages,
and they can pick up this easy to use macro language.  It also uses SQL to
access back end files, so you can create a reporting system VERY easily.
V4R4 is OK - but you may want to go to V4R5 for some added features before
making the leap to V5R1.

If you have modular RPG programs you can call these "tools" directly.   When
you need to access the same tool on the Green side, call that same RPG
program.  Unbound.  Your existing staff can create the "tools" without
knowing how to create web pages.  Having a 170 front end is a little foolish
- you need some horses to access the back end data, and if you're hit with
1000's of hits per hour, the 170 aint going to cut it.

Net.Data IS being supported - so don't worry that it's going to be dropped
by IBM in the near future.  Even so, today is your deadline - if/when you
outgrow the performance/capabilities of Net.Data - you move to websphere,
but by then, your staff understands the web MUCH better, and you can make
informed decisions as to your direction.

OR
Download the RPG-CGI FREEWARE programs located @ www.easy400.ibm.it they
have made some SUPER FAST programs in RPG for performing CGI functions.
OR
Go the websphere route, buy a LOT more system, buy a LOT more software, and
train your staff in Java stuff for the next year or 2.  Proficiency in
Websphere is counted in Months not days.  Yes - you eventually HAVE to go
this route, but you have time.  Satisfy the users requests first, make them
happy.  Then think along these lines.

At 02:19 PM 4/23/02 -0500, you wrote:

>I have been given the task to "get on the Internet now".
>We have a 720 at V4R4 and going to V5 this year at some point.
>All applications are written in RPG and home grown.
>
>I have a programming staff of 1 junior pgmr and 1 beginner pgmr plus
>myself.,1 network guy and 2 operators.
>
>We would like to start with inquiry and then be able to allow our agency
>force to quote/app direct to our 400.
>In other words live real time data access to our 400 database files. Read
>and write.
>
>I have investigated many ways to do this. I have been given a modest budget
>to accomplish this.
>Security from management's side is not an issue until it happens. I believe
>the opposite and want to be smart.
>
>I am toying with putting 400 on Internet with a Sonic Wall box as my
>firewall on network.
>Either develop applications with E-RPG or use some product that transforms
>RPG into GUI code as you develop
>so it can be used either green screen (in house) or GUI (net).
>
>I do not want to maintain same program 2X. (1 in house 1 on net).
>
>IBM came in a gave us a proposal to add a 170 as an Internet box.
>Management immediately threw this out
>as too costly.
>
>Has anyone had any experience with these so called Internet tools and if so
>good or bad idea?
>

>Karl Lauritzen Jr.
>National Lloyds Insurance
>American Summit Insurance
>*klauritzen@natlloyds.com
>*klauritzen@american-summit.com

Andrew Borts / Webmaster
Seta Corporation
6400 East Rogers Circle
Boca Raton, FL 33499

E-mail: Andrewb@setacorporation.com
Corporate web site http://www.setacorporation.com
E-Commerce web site http://www.palmbeachjewelry.com
                              http://www.myfreeitems.com
Voice: 561-994-2660 Ext. 2211 / Fax: 561-997-0774