Hello Carl,
first, don't worry about the data on the failed drive, it will be rebuilt from
the redundant information of the other drives in the RAID set.
The only thing you must manually take care of is the failed drives "hardware
object" should be removed from the configuration, otherwise it will stay
there in the config info for ever ... sounds more complicated than it is in
reality.
OK, step by step:
you got a new drive, you planned a downtime, you power down your system.
Identify the failed drive, take out the old drive and put in the new one, then
power up again in manual mode (IPL from  B M). Go to DST and sign on
as QSECOFR, not 11111111 and not 22222222.
Go to the "work with disk units" menus, "work with disk configuration"
and then "work with device parity protection" (this is RAID-5 in AS/400 terms)
There you start your RAID protection again. If this has been completed,
you add the new unit to your ASP and look at the resulting config and now
you got to look for a drive missing from config (the old one). Remove it.
Then exit DST and go on with the IPL.
System should be running normal as before.
Switch IPL mode back to normal and THAT 'S IT !

HTH, regards from germany, Philipp Rusch

(it's late with us here, I go to bed now ...)