No Barry, the #5065 cannot attach to an 820 without some kind of
conversion somewhere.  The connection between the CPU and the expansion
tower for this hardware is the old SPD optical bus, which has been
totally eliminated on native 8xx hardware platforms.  All current
expansion towers connect using High Speed Loop (HSL) technology.

Your best bet (IMHO) would be to convert your #5065 to a #5074.  This
would allow you to use the HSL technology without a migration tower.
Check the manuals you're looking in; if they don't have a February 2002
date, then download the newer version.  I don't think the information
below is in the older version.  Be advised, I've never done this and
know little beyond what is written below.

Below is some text from the Feb 2002 System Handbook V5R1:

<start quote>
Upgrade Options for #5065, #5066 and #5075 Expansion Towers
Converting iSeries expansion towers to migration towers allows you to
upgrade to newer, faster, and higher function HSL-attached I/O towers.
Conversions are available for:
. #5065 Storage/PCI Expansion Tower to #5074 PCI Expansion Tower
. #5066 1.8m I/O Tower to #5079 1.8m PCI I/O Expansion Tower
. #5075 PCI Expansion Tower to #5074 PCI Expansion Tower
While most features from the expansion towers are supported in the new
towers, many require no-charge feature conversions because the feature
number is different in the new tower. Those features not supported in
the new towers must be re-installed in the system unit or replaced with
a new feature.  These no-charge feature conversions are available to
move features from the #5065/#5066 towers to #5074/#5079 towers.
<end quote>

And from the sales manual for the 820:

<start quote>
On August 28, 2001, IBM extended options to convert SPD-attached
#5065/#5066 I/O towers to HSL-attached #5074/#5079 I/O towers,
leveraging customer investments in I/O towers, disk drives and selected
other I/O. This I/O tower conversion can also simplify SPD to HSL I/O
migration for iSeries 8XX customers. IBM plans to continue support of
SPD I/O on 6XX, SXX, 7XX, and 8XX models.
<end quote>

I don't know about pricing, get your partner to run a configuration and
see if it can be done and what it looks like.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse