From: Neil Palmer [mailto:neilp@dpslink.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 11:07 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Firewall in AS400

The theory is you run a firewall on same system in a Linux partition that
has dedicated LAN ports (not shared through OS/400).  Not on a dedicated
400/iSeries box.

...Neil

Dr Syd Nicholson <sydnic@ccs400.com>
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
2002/04/11 12:40
Please respond to midrange-l

        To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
        cc:

Might be OK in a large shop, but small shops can't afford it. Besides
who would spend over $70,000 on an iSeries to run Linux when the exactly
the same benefit can be achieved with a PC costing less then $3,000. Its
only a firewall, doesn't need a vast amount of expensive hardware, just
a fast processor amd plenty of memory.

Syd Nicholson

Wills, Mike N. (TC) wrote:

>I should clarify, that is what I was told at a recent class on the WDT.
They