<snip>
Would you say that the 400 is not as good at PC serving as core DB/400 at
least in initial releases, but still superior to competing PC serving
platforms after it has been there a while?
<endsnip>

Interesting question.  Let me pose a current problem.  First, we all
understand the difference between file serving and database serving,
right?  Ok, with that background out of the way, let's get started.  We've
gone great guns with NT servers for file serving.  However we have one
division still doing file serving off the 400.  And, they are using QDLS
for file serving.  (This has to do with some DOS based PC's running an old
application which don't play well with the rest of the IFS.)  In one
folder are a couple of Excel spreadsheets for tool crib inventory.  We
have to keep a pretty close eye on these spreadsheets because they have a
tendency to delete them.  All that will be left in the directory are the
temp files that excel uses when you edit spreadsheets.  And we've even
used these on occasion versus restore from backup.  Some points I'm left
pondering.
1)  Is it a problem with iSeries file serving deleting these files?  Is
someone intentionally deleting them?  Is it some strange set of
operational parameters causing the error like maybe leaving the
spreadsheet open during the nightly SAVDLO?
2)  There is some pressure from management to move this application to the
NT servers.  I've asked them if they feel that the NT servers would be any
better.  They are not convinced that they would be, but we could restore
using our iSeries based Tivoli Storage Manager versus our iSeries tape
drive and the physical retrieval of offsite backup.  There is some
advantage to that.
3)  Should this tool crib inventory be moved from a spreadsheet to an
iSeries DB2 database?  The division might accept it provided we didn't
bill them back for the time.  Thus it isn't going to happen.  We'll just
continue charging them to restore the file.

Al, as far as your original question goes.  I've no evidence to say that
waiting for V4R2 over V4R1 has made a significant difference other than
the usual level of improvements which IBM achieves in going, let's say,
from V4R2 to V4R3 or V4R3 to V4R4...  Is this what you meant by 'initial
releases'?  Or did you mean by waiting until at least the 2nd or third cum
release after GA?

Benjamin Franklin