Rob

You make an excellent point about unexpected downtime from any reason/400 ...
most users could care less about what caused the downtime, they only care
that they cannot use the system.  I seem to remember from other posts that
you are much closer to the bleeding edge of new 400 capabilities than I am.

Would you say that the 400 is not as good at PC serving as core DB/400 at
least in initial releases, but still superior to competing PC serving
platforms after it has been there a while?  I saw a lot of complaints about
the quality of Unix on 400 being not up to traditional core 400 standards,
but is Unix on 400 superior or inferior to Unix on other platforms?

> I've had disks get full from runaway jobs.
>  I've had spool files go haywire.
>  I've had SQL not retrieve records that it should have.
>  I've got numerous PTF cover letters with my sample code imbedded in them.
>  I've had Domino databases with corrupted data.  Hey, they are called
>  DATAbases aren't they?  And they are on an iSeries.  So, even though they
>  use the IFS and not DB2 wouldn't they still count as corrupted data on the
>  iSeries?
>  I've had logical files that were extremely corrupted to the point where
>  the OS suggested restoring from backup.  I really wanted to work on that
>  pmr more but the analyst here got HIS panties in a knot and deleted them
>  and rebuilt them.  Test database on a test iSeries.  Heck I couldn't even
>  save them to tape to send to IBM.  The save would fail.

<snip>

>  Rob Berendt

Sorry if cross-post seems like I made a poor choice.

I now have a table of 7 hits blamed on OS 400 out of 375 years of some 20
people replies from two lists, many off-line, to my original question.  This
topic is extremely interesting for me - I plan more correlation & later
sharing the results with my thanks.  Regardless of data corruption cause (17
stories not from OS), I do not think I have any reports of loss of business
data for more than a day on a 400.

When a user has application error scenario when it has been over a year since
the last time it happened, totally lost remembering how to cope.  But here we
have stories of 400 surprise something once in X years & everything is fine
again either same or next day.  That says a lot for quality of platform,
backup, and IBM support.