On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Dan Bale wrote:

> O.k., this is it.  I am looking for the "perfect" 5250 emulator client.

I've found that the only way to get something "EXACTLY" the way I want it
is to write my own :)

> The good that keeps me coming back to CA:
> Primarily, when using the green screen, I don't even know the mouse exists;
> I am definitely a keyboardist in this mode.  I also use a *lot* of MS
> Word-type of copying/pasting and cursor navigating in the course of my daily
> work:
> - Ctrl-C: Copy selected text into clipboard
> - Ctrl-V: Paste clipboard
> - Shift-Cursor: Select text in the direction of the cursor key being used.

This created a conflict in the open-source TN5250.  The control key is
used for Error Reset on the left side, and Field Exit on the right side.
In addition, for compatibility with the Unix version of the software,
Ctrl-C acts as system request.    So, maybe you can see why these keys
make a poor choice for copy & paste :)

Instead, in the open-source version of TN5250, I have Shift-Insert used
for paste, and Shift-Delete used for copy.  You can also set an option
that lets you use the mouse for all copy/paste/select functions.  In that
mode, just highlighting the text automatically copies it to the clipboard,
and right-click pastes the text.

Selecting text with Shift-Cursor Keys would be a nice feature to add.  If
you want to help out, you could add them :)  If not, I'll put it on my
to-do list.

> When editing source, I colorize comments quite a bit.  I need an easy way to
> do this.  CA has a macro function available for this that I assign to a
> popup keypad and to a few keyboard key combinations.  I will *not* succumb
> to copying attributes from a "color" source member set up for this purpose.

Hmmm..  I wonder what would be involved in doing this?

> The 27x132 mode is very readable.  I do all my editing in this mode.

This is probably more a feature of the font you're using than it is the
emulator itself.

> I am wondering if the open-source 5250 client I've seen discussed here would
> allow me to do the customization I require "out-of-the-box".  I would be
> willing to develop something for it, if it is possible, and is within my
> skillset.

Join the project.  If you can help with the programming, that would be
great.  If not, just give your input & help test.   That's how I started
with the project -- I just tried it out and helped test it.   Now, 2 years
later, I'm doing a lot of the new development, and making it work exactly
the way I like it.

Just join the mailing list.   It's called "Linux5250" (despite that it
works in many non-linux environments) at it's hosted right here at
Midrange.com.