Hi there

>After talking to the IBM tech he thinks I did one or two things wrong -
>maybe.  He thinks I may not have unplugged the system but that's poo
>cause I know I did since I had to move it to another room to work on it
>on both systems.  The other possability is I did not wait long enough
>for the system to power down.  This I can not argue because I did like I
>did in the other offices, PWRDWNSYS and pulled power on the system
>shortly after the terminals lost login screens.  The odds are I am a
>retard.

Apart from the fact that you can usually hear the machine shut down, you
should check the panel and indicators on the front of the machine to see if
the machine is actually powered down. You should see no codes on the
control panel, and all the other lights - including CPU use - should be
dead. You should be able to hear the disks spin down also. The control
panel should end up with  (I think) 01 B N on it.

The absence of the login screens tells you that the subsystem that
allocates interactive devices is not going and very little more. It is
certainly a poor indicator of itself that the system has shut down.

I'd have to agree with the IBM guy that it sounds like the machine was most
likely running when you jerked the power.

>I need serious help.  If any of you are cert. IBM bus partners in the
>USA I may have to give you a ring :{

I would make getting the help of a business partner or IBM a priority. I'm
sure someone else will correct me if what I say is wrong, but what you are
doing sounds to me like it could land you with a dead and/or data
challenged machine requiring _very_ expensive repairs and/or recovery
procedures and no recourse to IBM: it sounds like what you are doing would
invalidate any warranty that might or might not exist to provide any
replacement equipment or help.

I am sure the cost of a business partners assistance has to be less than
the possible cost of a screwed machine and loss of business. I do work for
a business partner so I may be biased.

Goof luck with your remaining endeavours :)

Regards
Evan Harris