Cheryl,

As Eduard said, this will require a reinstall. The installation is not
significantly more complex than a normal system upgrade, but you cannot use
the automatic install process. If I recall correctly, the Licensed Internal
Code is also for a specific primary language, and therefore must be replaced
as part of your process, even if you remain on the same VRM of OS/400.

*** Review the Software Installation manual and you will get an
understanding of what you will have to do.

You will need to order a new copy of OS/400 and LICPGMs under the new DBCS
primary language. One of the feature codes under your 5769-SS1 determines
the primary language, and you need to get IBM to change this to the one you
want. Then, when you receive the order, you will want to verify that the new
language code is on the media, for example on all the tapes/CDs where it
used to say 2924 should now be 2938 (or whatever).

For some reason, I think their default is to give you 2938 if you ask for
English DBCS, so think about this before you order. If you switch to primary
lang 2938, this is still English but it is all UPPER CASE MESSAGES. If you
want to use DBCS and still see mixed-case messages, you may wish to use 2984
(I think that is the one) instead. If you use 2938, you may experience other
little side effects, such as operators having to reply "I" instead of "i" or
"I".

Once you have a DBCS primary language installed, you can also have secondary
languages of either DBCS or SBCS, so you may also want to do that to have
different users run with different languages. IBM achieves this by
installing multiple copies of QSYS. For example, QSYS will always contain
objects in the primary language of your system, and then there will be
additional libs for any secondary languages you have such as QSYS2924,
QSYS2962, etc. Make sure you also order any desired secondary languages when
you order your new OS/400.

For ordinary workstation users, you then use a parm on the subsystem they
run in to determine which, if any, secondary language library is in the
front of their library list, and thus what kind of messages they see.
However, some jobs do not get this choice - (I think) jobs in the
controlling susbsystem such as your console.

That's what I recall. Perhaps some others will fill in some of the details I
may have omitted or not fully understood.

-Marty