From: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:midrange-l-admin@midrange.com] On Behalf Of Philipp Rusch
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 1:34 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Some more ethernet questions

Hello from germany,

answers inline :

Rosewood schrieb:

> Thanks to a lot of help from you guys, all has been going well.  If
> any of yall come through Wichita, KS some time (and im over 21 then)
> look me up, Ill buy ya a beer.
>
> I have a few more questions.
>
>   1:  How do I get TCP/IP to run on IPL?  PS - The agents that use
> these AS400s don't need nor use them for HTTP/POP/SMTP/FTP ETC servers

> - can these different ones not be started up always as well ? (I think

> I got that figured out from TCPADM screen).

There is a startup program which is call when the system starts its
controlling subsystems, this is done during a sucessful IPL procedure.
The location/name of the program that is called is controlled by a
system value (WRKSYSVAL  QSTRUPGM), the object defined there has to be a
valid CL-PGM. There is an IBM-supplied template for this, which you can
retrieve to have a starting point for your own self-made startup
program. (RTVCLSRC QSYS/QSTRUP, I put this source on
QGPL/QCLSRC(QSTRUP)) I usually do NOT modify this and recompile,
instead, I always leave the original from IBM in place (because of
release changes) and in the first line of my own startup PGM  I do a
CALL on this one to have the "IBM-things" done before I add on my
"specials". Like this, you never loose modifications on an upgrade of
your OS/400, you just have to change the sysval again ... How is TCPIP
being started then ? For me the code in my QSTRUPTCP called PGM is
looking like this

    PGM
    CALL (QSYS/QSTRUP)
    MONMSG (CPF0000)
    STRTCP
    MONMSG (CPF0000)
    STRHOSTSVR (RCDPCL *TCP)
    MONMSG (CPF0000)
    . . . .

    MONMSG (CPF0000) is only to avoid any messages to keep the system
from starting up correctly, because some job is waiting for an answer in
QSYSOPR  ...

>   2:  Some agents share the system between multiple offices (in same
> building).  When they were on terminals, every time they logged on -
> they were always on the same "Display" - such as DSP02, etc.  That
> ment they could configure their printers and help levels etc. and they

> were always the same for them.  This also ment they could have on the
> terminals or via emulation cards 3 sessions setup one way and the 4th
> another.  However, now when they sign on (either with the BOS TCP/IP
> software or MochaSoft) they get whatever sessions are availble.  So,
> one day I may be using one session and the next I would get one setup
> for the guy down the hall.  -- Is there a way to specify which display

> session I get?  OR -- How would I go about setting it up so these
> settings (especialy which printers, which are twinax attached, are to
> be
> used) to be user specific?

Think you mentioned Mocha client before...

go to the terminal settings, there is a field "Display name" which is
initially empty. You just put any name in here you want to be used as
your session name when the AS/400 automatically creates that device. Of
course, these names must be unique per system, otherwise you cannot
connect.

--- SNIP ---

HTH, greetings, Philipp Rusch