No success here. Last year I started an email dialog with a gentleman who
works on InfoCenter. I wanted to know why all the explanatory background
information had been eliminated from the TCP/IP topics. He explained that
was their direction with all the subjects - "If you want to know about
TCP/IP there are many good books available." I suggested that sometimes it
is better to have the background presented from the point of view of the
particular platform or product you're working with. I told the guy that
there were others who would like to offer their input (midrange-l) and I
asked if he could get me a contact point with someone of decision-making
capacity. He said he would try. That is where the conversation ended.

One time on a support call I posed the question of where such and such was
documented. They (no sh_t) referred me to an old version of softcopy
library. Of course, that was a support person, not an InfoCenter
representative, but it goes to show that internally they have to find the
information the same as everyone else and they can't do it with InfoCenter.

In regard the expense of printed manuals, I agree. However, I just wish they
would have stopped with Softcopy Library. That way all the information was
organized into manuals so it made sense. You could easily tell someone (or
make a note of) a book number and page number. You still had a search
engine, except that the organization into manuals made the search results SO
MUCH easier to use. And because of the simple HTML, Softcopy Library was
much faster to use, even over a dialup connection. Did I forget to mention
that you had the complete content of the manual rather than the little
subset that some webmaster/marketing person has determined to be the
appropriate amount, as not to scare off potential customers by making the
machine look too complicated?

-Marty