This is a vendor response, please skip it if such things annoy you. I think
I have a solution that exactly fits this problem, or I would not post it.

We have an archiving system that will archive from both 400 and 390, let you
search and view from 3270, 5250 pcs, or the web.

Stop printing, unless you send it out of the company , and if you do send it
out then use our Content Express which electronically bursts, emails,
converts to pdf, and posts the results by recipient on the web. (It both
emails and web hosts the reports, which may be invoices etc with overlays.)

Archiving is about 40K, content express is 10K (I mean perpetual license,
not annual.)

Hope this isn't too commercial, but I ahte to see people printing reports,
not only for the expense but because then the users have to read reports on
paper - slow, frustrating, error prone.

Oh yeah, it also does data extraction to spreadhseets and databases and
html, remotely over tcp/ip.

The entire product is built on tcp/ip servers, theres no network access
needed, it has built-in tn5250 and tn3270 (page mode), also our own LPD and
FTP servers.

and telnet of course, and you can feed it reports from Unix, Linux, and NT.
We haven't really been actively marketing it to mainframe customers, but we
have a thousand midrange customers some of whome are using it on mainframes,
and 4 pure mainframe users. (Lots of AIX unix etc customers also.)

It's about a third to a tenth of the cost of the solutions we have seen in
the mainframe market, and ours has better features and usability.

It has security at the archive and report level.

(I know, it sounds like I'm bragging.)

We are starting to offer it as a service over the web also, print your
reports with lpr to us (or ftp them) and then access them thru a web
browser. 5 cents a page plus other small and annoying charges. We'll send
you a CD of everything whenver you want (for another small and annoying
charge.)

I've been watching this thread and biting my tongue.

Paper is 5000 year old technology, and while printing paper itself
(estimated at 5 to 10 cents a page) is not that expensive ,
getting information off paper by handling it, storing it, retreiving it,
searching it, looking at it, copying it and faxing it, is the single most
expensive routine task that businesses do. Depending on paper means inferior
customer service, poor use of knowledge workers, wasted time, and lost
opportunities.

Archiving system savings go right to the bottom line, and an archiving
system facilitates almost everything a business does. Not having one is like
having sand in your gears. Most sites can get payback on our system on paper
costs alone, many with an ROI measured in weeks or months.

Okay, I'm sorry. Now you can beat me, hurt me, make me write bad checks.

Brad Jensen
www.elstore.com