Pat,

Since the S/36 device naming is limited to 2 positions you do have a limit
imposed by the maximum combination of letters and numbers.

Each time that a virtual device is created it probably also creates a new S/36
named device on the fly.  I'm not sure about this, but it makes sense to me.

I think that the automatic naming would start with W1 and keep incrementing
until WZ or maybe ZZ?  Eventually the automatic device naming runs out of
choices and stops assigning S/36 device names.

You may be able to get around this by taking all of the QAPDEVnnnn devices and,
using the CHGS36 command, create your own naming that starts with A1 and goes
from there.  This should get you through the first 600 or so devices.

If you have less than 600 devices and the system is still trying to create
virtual devices I'd also take a look at why some of these devices are not being
reused more often.  Are they being varied off and therefore not available for
use?

hth