Roger:

I haven't had the pleasure of playing with this on V5R1. I'll take your word
for it, but it sure seems like a PTF is needed if a setting isn't provided to
keep it turned off.

The implication is that you need to individually administer the service on
every single new XP system you ever install in the same domain. Without
Administrator rights (say, your LAN administrator is on vacation for a couple
weeks and the password isn't known), you could conceivably be left with a badly
misbehaved Windows network. IBM should fix this.

Ouch.

Tom Liotta

On Thu, 28 February 2002, "Roger Vicker, CCP" wrote:

> It is part of V5R1M0 when you set Netserver as the Logon Server. They go
>together.
>
> thomas@inorbit.com wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 27 February 2002, "Roger Vicker, CCP" wrote:
> >
> > > Any ideas on how to prevent these systems from arguing with the AS/400
> > > over being the master browser.
> >
> > I have no good answer for your question, but I'm not sure I'd allow my
>AS/400 to be the master browser anyway if there was a PC available for it. Why
>use expensive CPU when cheap CPU is there? Let the AS/400 focus on its job and
>let the PCs do the master browser work. I suggest you remove the settings from
>NetServer -- unless you have specific reason not to.
> >
> > Tom Liotta
> >
> > --
> > Tom Liotta
> > The PowerTech Group, Inc.
> > 19426 68th Avenue South
> > Kent, WA 98032
> > Phone  253-872-7788
> > Fax  253-872-7904
> > http://www.400Security.com

> --
> *** Vicker Programming and Service *** Have bits will byte *** www.vicker.com
>***
> Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose.  (Housman)

Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.
19426 68th Avenue South
Kent, WA 98032