Anyone experiencing the CA drop - it would help if you described your
complete environment (like...
W98 w/ 10/100 ethernet connect to local lan thru xx hub 10? or 10/100 , same
lan segment as AS/400 10/100.
Describe the AS400 ethernet (the old 10, or 10/100, or gig eth)
Ethernet line description  Ethernet standard, Enable for TCP/IP, Line Speed?
Duplex? SSAP parms (3rd screen of line desc)
Is this local lan or wan (wide area/remote)
For wan - router used and how config'd - it has timers for resend, maybe
packet prioritization, you could be dropping when someone sends a file
transfer?
Controller description timers on AS400 default to local conditions, and
timers need to be increased for wan.
Private frame or internet? or some other cloud like IBM Global (scary!)

Time-out parms?
system values for QDSCJOBITV, QINACTITV, QINACTMSGQ, QDEVRCYACN
TCP parms in TCP Attributes: TCP keep alive
Telnet Attributes: Session keep alive timeout
(I don't have V5R1 to see if any new parms)

messages in qsysopr like ...
Job 939957/SIEMPRE/HT was ended by user QPGMR.  (CPC1126)
Job 938387/JIMF/QPADEV0003 has not been active.   (from QINACTITV)

joblogs
wrksplf qtcp and see what's there
wrkactjob & dspjoblog for all jobs like QTVDEVICE
maybe change jobd QTGSTELN to log more
 CHGJOBD JOBD(QTCP/QTGSTELN) LOG(4 00 *SECLVL) LOGCLPGM(*YES)
let it fail & look again.

There is a thousand places for this to fail, especially in WAN. There's more
than this, but
this is a start.

jim franz