> Joel, and everyone else...

LAN Console. Available in V5R1. If you can get a connection to your LAN, you
can, with proper software and authentication, become the console.

LAN Console has additional authentication in the form of DST and Device
profiles, this is in addition to the AS/400 signon, and in addition to the
authentication required to dial into the network. If you VPN to the LAN, you
would be extremely safe.

No additional PC or software required in between. And V5R1 supports passwords
up to 128 characters... Crack That!

Downside.... As I have mentioned, install on a new box seems to require a
direct connect or twinax console for initial installation. You must stay
current on PTFs on the iSeries and Service Packs on the PC. I recommend you
have a Support Line contract in place for first install, as they can be
extremely helpful.  Documentation needs to be updated, but I am sure that is
being addressed.

What can we do? If more people use LAN Attach Console, IBM will dedicate more
resources to polishing the product. I have installed two 820s that have never
had a twinax device used for the console. It was brought up with the Direct
Attach console, even though everyone said it would be a PITA (even IBMers!!)
Other than the iSeries adapter being in the wrong slot (Should be in C04 for
820 or 830), I have had ZERO, NONE, NIL problems with these devices as console
in the 18 months they have been running. The problem with the card being in the
wrong slot was quickly resolved by support line.

Bob