Albert,

>It does require that the user have a TCP/IP
>address on the Internet, so dialup is out.

Alternatively, you may be able to use any of free "dynamic IP" providers.  These
sites provide the ability to have names resolve to your current dynamic IP
address by using DNS entries with a very short expiration period so DNS servers
should always get the new mapping rather than reuse any entree they have cached.

A program runs on your PC which watches your dial up networking (or other
dynamic IP) and when you get a new address, notifies the DNS server of the new
value.

The process works quite well, except for companies which (mis)configure their
DNS servers to ignore the expiration value of an entry they have resolved and
already have in their cache.  (I've heard AOL may be an example of this.)

Doug