From: "Dr Syd Nicholson" <sydnic@ccs400.com>
To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: Configuring a new iSeries

For many clients, the detailed configuration of an iSeries box comes
towards the end of the sales process. The customer has the budget, is
ready to buy, and needs an accurate price. There is no doubt that this
detailed configuration is important when the sale is made.

However, at the beginning of the sales process, the potential customer
often needs only an approximate price (perhaps 10-20% margin of error).
At this stage in the process it does not mater which power supply, which
network, whether an integrated Netfinity server, etc., is present. The
detail is irrelevant.

If is often a slow and cumbersome business obtaining iSeries prices from
IBM and its business partners. It is very easy for the potential client
to perceive that buying from IBM is difficult. It much easier to
price/buy a PC system and many potential sales can be lost. This is an
area where IBM does need to sharpen up its act, or is IBM full of sales
prevention officers.

What I would like to see is a public IBM web site with a built in
configurator. This web site would lead the visitor though a number of
questions, ultimately providing the potential client with a number of
iSeries configurations and prices. When the client is ready to buy the
chosen configuration is passed to their IBM business Partner for
validation and more accurate pricing.

A web site of this nature would save both the valuable time of IBM and
its Business Partner staff. They would not need to field as many
unproductive queries. It would also make it considerably easier for
potential clients to choose their hardware and obtain prices (e.g. for
project budgets) long before they ready to buy. This web site could make
the difference between a company deciding to deploy PC servers, or an
iSeries system.

Syd Nicholson
Managing Director
Castlehill Computer Services Ltd.