And to mention, what if your RPG program uses:
- a screen with DDS.
- a UIM panel
- an externally defined file, but no SQL
- any number of api's, including but not limited to QCMDEXC
- an externally defined printer file
- CL wrappers
- *CMD objects

I really don't see a 'flip the switch' solution.  Doesn't this start to
degenerate down to 'SAA RPG'?

Benjamin Franklin

                    Scott Klement
                    <klemscot@klements.       To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                    com>                      cc:
                    Sent by:                  Fax to:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Subject:     Re: interesting /.
story on RPG
                    drange.com

                    02/21/2002 11:21 AM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

I imagine that if IBM released an RPG compiler for Linux, or ported VARPG,
that they'd charge for it.  Probably a significant amount.

Do you think that theres a large enough market to warrant the cost to IBM?
It seems to me that unless you were converting a system from OS/400 to
Linux, an RPG compiler would not be worth the cost.   Much easier/cheaper
to use the existing Linux compilers.

And porting an application suite from OS/400 to Linux would be a LOT of
work, even with an RPG compiler.

So, frankly, I don't really think this is going to happen.   Maybe you
should get involved in the Eraserhead RPG project instead.  An open source
compiler for Linux is a completely different animal.

Of course, from experience with Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice, it'll probably
never be completed :)