I strongly recommend that you not try to process the HOSTS file directly.
(though, it is possible)

Some day you'll want to switch to DNS (actually, i'm quite surprised that
you aren't using it already) and then the host file method won't work.

Or, someday IBM's going to change the format of the hosts file.  And then
your program won't work.

Instead, use the APIs "gethostbyname" or "gethostbyaddr" to look things
up.  (Let me know if you need an example)   This way, it'll use the system
resolver, which in turn reads the host file for you, and if that fails it
will use any defined DNS servers...

As for determining the OUTQ associated with an IP... I don't have an
answer.  I've never needed this capability...