Seems to me that 'Remove' is good if you're sharing resources and don't
want to keep recreating things. If you don't need to do that, 'Remove
and Clear' seems fine. You won't lose the hardware info--that's kept in
the primary anyway.

"Urbanek, Marty" wrote:

> I am unexpectedly setting up my first LPAR system. I am running V5R1.
>
> I am at the point of removing most of the resources from the PRIMARY
> partition so that they will become available to add into the secondary
> partitions. There are two options when removing a bus: Remove vs. Remove and
> Clear.
>
> Having read the doc and the help screens, but not attended the LPAR class, I
> am unsure which is best for me.
>
> I am leaning toward Remove and Clear. It says that will clear the resource
> names but it also says it will clear the device descriptors. The part about
> clearing the resource names sounds good because (for example) I would like
> all the partitions to have their own CMN01 for their ECS line. However, the
> part about clearing the device descriptors scares me. I don't know what the
> device descriptors are. I do not want to clear the information about the
> cards' serial numbers, rack locations, etc.
>
> No, I do not ever foresee needing to add the buses in question back to the
> PRIMARY partition.
>
> Can anybody provide any additional insight as to the consequences of Remove
> vs. Remove and Clear?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -Marty

Vern Hamberg

Would you like to see a challenging little arithmetic puzzle
that might get you or your kids or grandkids more interested
in math? Go to <http://cgi.wff-n-proof.com/MSQ-Ind/I-1E.htm>

Sillygism--

Something is better than nothing.
Nothing is better than a ham sandwich.
Ergo
Something is better than a ham sandwich.