>From: Dave Murvin
>Your suggestion to punch a hole through the firewall

As a point of clarification, punching a hole through the firewall is an
option not a suggestion. Anytime you add a hole to your firewall you're
adding a hole that can be exploited by someone to gain access to your
network, and I don't actually suggest people punch too many of them.
However, it is a valid option, so I mentioned it.

My first preference would be to bring IIS inside the firewall, and contrary
to Gartners clueless opinion[1], I believe IIS _can_ be secured. After that
I would consider VPN access and only after VPN was ruled out would punching
the hole be considered, and even then only after I had clearly explained the
implications to the client several times.

-Walden

[1] Gets out flame-retardant suit and climbs in. <G>

Walden H Leverich III
President
Tech Software
(516)627-3800 x11