Jon and Rob,

(jon first)..

jon said:
>If you get the CPI4321 and read the message, you may be able to convince
>who ever that runtime would drop  xx%

I know, you know, we all know this is the best option.

I'm wearing them down.

jon said:
>Other people's replys I think pointed you there.  Match the file name in
>your RPG with the file name in the OverRide.

the override file name is matched, but it appears that the override isn't
matching with the opened datapath - due to different file being the primary
on the opnqryf join.

jon said
>Sorry I forgot,  I don't use OPNQRYF any more for this type of thing.   I
>use embedded SQL to do it for me.
>Like this(Below),  You can also do much better joins in SQL than OPNQRYF.
>If it were an SQL program,  the PRTSQLINF would tell you how long the SQL
>statement ran the last time,  what files it used,  etc.

I'm very comfortable with sql.  Been using it for years.  I'm not convinced
it would be the best tool for the job in this particular case, but
regardless, they don't have sql here.

I'm on temporary contract here, and they aren't very receptive to things
they aren't used to, because when I'm gone, they have to maintain what I
leave behind.  which is why I believe the logical solution would be the
"logical solution" :)

a lot of the stuff they've got going here uses query400 to build sorted
workfiles for processing. - and a lot of internally described cobol.

Rob said:

>What are their objections?
>Performance?  I can quote experts that this has not been a concern since
>V3R1 of the OS.

no, they are just reluctant to do anything that might interfere with the
canned package.  I don't have these reservations, but i'm just the
contractor.

like I said, I'm wearing them down.

Thanks for the replys,

Rick