You should check with your IBM BP for details Rob. That's what they get paid
for!   :-)

----- Original Message -----
From: <rob@dekko.com>
To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 12:04 PM
Subject: Re: EDI and LPAR

That's a good general statement.  But how's about some detail?

For example on my WRKLICINF I see:
                        Work with License Information                 GDIHQ
                                                            02/04/02
12:48:25
System serial number . . . . . . . . . :   103BD4M
Processor group  . . . . . . . . . . . :   P50

Would this appear differently on a partition?

Also, on the individual entries I see usage count.  Usage on a batch
system, like EDI, is next to nothing.  At least counting it as number of
users accessing the products.

Maybe their is some API you can call which tells you how many processors,
etc are allocated to this partition.  I don't know.  I hear there are
vendors which market software to tune your partitions for you - they ought
to know.  And if vendors of EDI software are going to use some of these
API's then these vendors might be able to handle my concerns.

I suppose I could ask Peregrine but that would be like RTFM :-)

Hey, I've just seen the quote.  Based on this I get the impression that any
LPAR is enough to prove good faith?  Or is the current plot to get you to
go to the LPAR machine, then kill you with the maintenance by raising the
prices after you switch?

**************************************
>From the memo:
Hi #####,
Since your P50 is an LPAR box, I have some great news for the upgrade
price. Group Dekko can move from their current P10 to the LPAR'D P50, for
$##,000. Also, there would be no change in your current annual
maintenance. However, our Product Management group is looking at raising
prices on these upgrades to LPAR boxes over the next month or two. So, if
your company is looking to go forward, I can honor this quote through
February 28th.
TrustedLink AS/400 e-Version 5

>From the attachment:

Product Features:
·    Drag-and-drop mapper - fastest, easiest to use, and  most flexible on
the market
·    Automatic conversion from any version of a document standard to
another.
·    Run test and production environments at the same time for the same
document and trading partner.
·    Multiple levels of security with pre-defined user profiles read only
access.
·    Built-in duplicate checking so no document will be reprocessed in
error after an interrupted communication session.
·    Multiple levels of error recovery while viewing in the document
management area.
·    Documented API's so existing programs can be executed with new TL/400
releases.
·    Formal classroom training at three permanent locations:  Atlanta,
Concord, Chicago.

Technical  Requirements:

·    IBM AS/400 Server
OS/400 V4R3 or higher
Latest Cumulative IBM PTF's installed
·    PC Client
Windows 95, 98, or NT4.0
PC Connectivity via Client Access V3R1M2, Rhumba Access/400 V5.2B or
NetManage Hostlink 97, V8
Pentium with 32 MB
Minimum 37 MB Disk Space
800x600 Resolution with 16bit color

Software Package Contents and Pricing for Group Dekko Services:
(Quote Valid through 2/28/02)

Processor Upgrade from a P10 to a (Lpar) P50
Total software for Processor upgrade:
$##,000

(No Additional annual maintenance)

Benjamin Franklin

                    "Shannon O'Donnell"
                    <shannondiane27@hot       To:
<midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    mail.com>                 cc:
                    Sent by:                  Fax to:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Subject:     Re: EDI and LPAR
                    drange.com

                    02/04/2002 12:40 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

I'd have to double check this...But!....I'm 99% sure that in V5R1, IBM now
enforces licensing rules across LPARs. Prior to V5R1, it was pretty much on
the honor system.