Don said after visiting Linux World;

>I was surprised to see the lack of major application system providers in
>the expo...most of them seemed tobe hardware, development tools and other
>misc development/developers...as well as Red Hat, HP, Intel, IBM, most of
>the NYC area linux UG's....even Sharp was demo'ing the new palm units
>running linux...

And Mr. Z's statements.....

Interesting;

Which PC vendor was it that pulled Pre-installing  Linux because of lack of
interest?
Was it Gateway or Dell? can't remember

Anyway,  Your findings of the lack of presence of the big Software
houses(SAP, JDE, etc)

Reminds me of the old Firesign Theater  line  "Join the Expected Crowd
Gathering Now" from "We're all bozo's on this bus"

Will Linux take over everything everywhere?  Will it take over like ADA,
CASE tools, C++, and Java?

Were we not all glad we all rushed head long into Client/Server systems
because IBM said "It will take over everything"  I don't know if JDE has
recovered yet from that "Next Big Thing"  called One World.

I don't know.  Everyone says it will.  To tell you the truth, The more IBM
says that It(IBM that is) believes that it will be THE WAY.  Makes me more
comfortable with the notion that it won't be.

I am just going on IBM's track record of being able to predict "The next
big thing that will take over everything"

Time will tell.

John