Collection Services collector was designed to run forever.
You are not supposed to configure it to run for so many hours and then shut
down. You configure it to cycle every so many hours - which means closing
current *MGTCOL object and creating a new one. If you chose "Create
database files during collection" it will submit a background job
(CRTPFRDTA), which will create performance database members.

Collector takes care of old *MGTCOL objects (you can confgire expiration
time and they will be purged when expired).
It will not cleanup performance database members automatically. PM/400 will
do it for you if you choose to use it.

Suggested use (I think it is a default when shipped) is to run collector
round o'clock with 15 min interval, cycle at midnight and do not create
database files automatically.
Do not be afraid that it will be a performance hog - collector overhead in
default configuration is fraction of a single percent even on very large
and heavily loaded systems.
If you think you've had a performance problems, you can always create
database members for analysis (using CRTPFRDTA command) for a time you are
interested in. Provided, of course, you have reasonable expiration interval
and *MGTCOL is still there.

Another suggested use is to configure PM/400. It will take care of
everything - collector, database files and will give you some reports in
addition.

    Alexei Pytel

                      "Mike Shaw"
                      <mhshaw@worldnet.a        To:
<midrange-l@midrange.com>
                      tt.net>                   cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Performance Data
Collection Via Management Central
                      midrange-l-admin@m         on V5R1
                      idrange.com

                      01/30/2002 10:25
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      midrange-l

Folks,

I went through and did the setup via Management Central to collect
performance data.  The scheduled job launched fine and pretty much did what
I expected.  However, I set it to run for 12 hours and when I got into the
office this morning, I found that it had not ended, it collected data all
night.

The other strange event is that it is starting a new member every 4 hours
instead of the one member we were used to seeing at V4R5.  From the menu
PERFORM, Option 7, I see 3 members instead of one for a days
collection.........

Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, how did you resolve the issues?

Thanks,

Mike Shaw