CREATE TABLE ROB/RICHARD
(KEY1 CHAR (1 ) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,
FLD1 CHAR (1 ) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,
FLD2 CHAR (1 ) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,
FLD3 CHAR (1 ) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,
PRIMARY KEY (KEY1))

QCRTAUT is *CHANGE.

Then I went into Operations Navigator and changed the security on FLD3 to
exclude the public.  When it came up I right clicked on the database and
selected permissions, clicked on details, clicked on columns.  There are
the following columns and there status:
Management - off
Alter - off - greyed out
Reference - off
Read - on - greyed out!
Add - on - greyed out!
Update - on
On FLD3 I turned update off.
Signed on as a peon.  They can see FLD3.  If they do UPDDTA then they can
see FLD3, they can change it but if they try to enter and save they get a
few messages, one of them being Not authorized to field FLD3 of file
RICHARD.  They can change other fields.

How do I secure read when the SOB is greyed out?

Benjamin Franklin

                    "Richard B Baird"
                    <rbaird@esourceconsu       To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                    lting.com>                 cc:
                    Sent by:                   Fax to:
                    midrange-l-admin@mid       Subject:     Re: field level
security - (Was Use of a trigger...? ....)
                    range.com

                    01/25/2002 08:18 AM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Rob,

RPG?  upstart?  stay away?  that IS funny!  on several levels.

How does field level security work now, using say, interactive SQL or
QRY400?  does it exclude the field from the list of available field names?
does it hard error out there too, if someone tries to use it without auth?

how would I have field level security behave?  I hadn't really thought
about it, but if the object is to hide and protect a particular field from
non-authorized users, maybe a better solution would be have the db return
null, blank or zero (you pick) on a read, and not allow update of the
field.  a message written to the joblog (and/or qsysopr msgq) to inform
those who care about such things that access to the field was attempted and
denied, giving the user, job, program, line number.

I realize that this behaviour would have it's own problems and unintended
results, but so would a hard error.  If you're brave enough to implement
the feature, you should be smart enough to test it as well.

maybe I'm being dense here, but we already could "roll our own" field level
security by creative use of logical files and library lists.  what good is
the db2 version if we still have to create the same logicals, etc. so we
can  use it in strait RPG?

rick