Buck:

Sorry, I should've been more clear.

The two STRSBS commands could be coded in a system startup program so that one
executes more or less immediately after the other. If you watch as it happens
via WRKACTJOB or possibly the subsystem monitors' joblogs, you can see device
allocation proceeding from one device to the next.

If QINTER has a *ALL entry and OTHERSBS names only a specific few and there's a
significant total number of workstations, it's easily possible for OTHERSBS to
complete its device allocations before QINTER finishes its allocations. I don't
recall that STRSBS waits while this is going on and I believe that even the
Retrieve Subsystem Information (QWDRSBSD) API will return Subsystem
status=*ACTIVE for QINTER even though it hasn't completed its startup work
(though either of these might've changed in recent releases; I haven't checked
for a while). This makes testing for completion difficult.

The situation you described is slightly different in that QINTER is guaranteed
to have finished its allocation work before you started sbs(BUCK). In that
situation, I'd expect the result you reported.

To clarify, I wasn't disputing that the last subsystem started succeeds in
allocation. I was looking for a more precise definition of what "started" means
for a subsystem. In particular, is it relative to the moment the STRSBS command
completes or to the moment allocations, etc., complete? In my experience, it
seems to be the latter; but it's hard to pin down without precise tests.

With no precise definition available, then I program on the side of caution and
make sure I have *ENTER entries to make the guarantee.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.