Justin,

I think I understand what you are after.  I use a product called Servers
Alive.  SA monitors all kinds of things.  It is probably similiar to the
product Whats Up Gold.  It runs on a PC and can be configured to monitor
many things - HTTP, Telnet, ODBC, specific ports, etc.  I originally bought
it to do outside monitoring for things like Domino, Websphere, Showcase,
etc. but you can have it monitor other 'standard' things (PING, SNMP).  Of
course a network problem or a TCP server problem could create a false alarm
but you can work around those.

It handles different notification functions - page, email, commands, and
log via Syslog....since I am a rebel and don't work in conjunction with my
network people I just use the email function to my pager.  So I don't have
any specific knowledge or experience with SA and Syslog......

www.woodstone.nu/alive

Michael Crump
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302
(765)741-7696
(765)741-7012 f
(800)428-8642

mailto:mike.crump@saint-gobain.com

                    "Haase, Justin
                    C."                     To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                    <Justin.Haase@Kin       cc:
                    gland.com>              Subject:     Syslog - AS/400 Native?

                    01/09/02 10:16 AM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Anyone heard of the ability of the 400 to send out a syslog message like a
Cisco router does on its way down?  Just a UDP packet, doesn't care if it
gets anywhere, just says to the network "I'm dying, I'm dead..." etc.  Any
help on this would be appreciated - either native support or a piece of
software which does it.  Thanks in advance.