>> This is an excellent summary, Janet.  In fact, it's an excellent summary of
the architecture that was outlined in my eDeployment book, the architecture that
both Innovator and the JACI/400 product are based on.  The book was published in
October of 2000, and basically outlined this entire process, but of course I'd
given discussions about the idea at COMMON and OMNI in 1999.  Still do, as a
matter of fact, even though I don't think Jacada even showed up at the last
COMMON; I don't recall seeing their booth, or Seagull's for that matter, while I
was manning the Linoma Logic booth.

So you're suggesting that a product built in 1997-1999 was based on a book you
published in October, 2000?  My comments were extracted from a paper I published
in September, 2000...

Your ideas are good, Joe, but I'm not sure they are quite as unique as you
think, or that they are all part of a private architecture that you personally
invented!

>> In the best of all worlds, the tool would take your customized look and feel,
build a template from it, and use that on subsequent conversions. We're not
there just yet, not sure how the Innovator folks plan to do it.

The Innovator folks have this piece of the problem solved -- instead of creating
templates, they build a knowledgebase that works with all subsequent conversions
unless, as I said, the panels in subsequent conversions were completely unique
and didn't follow any of the standards and conventions found in the panels that
were already converted; this is technology they successfully used back in the
early 90s in their client/server products, and that they continue to leverage.

I didn't mention Jacada's biggest down side -- they prefer to work with very
large customers and business partners; they tend to be unaffordable for most
small shops. Also, they are currently more focused on the zSeries market than on
the iSeries...

From: Janet Krueger      507 529 8777 ext 110
Andrews Consulting Group       www.andrewscg.com