Frankly I would think that anyone requesting XML over a VAN would have to
be partnered with that VAN.  (I've done business with GE and the overhead
they force you to pay per character charges on is astronomical.)  XML
GREATLY increases the number of characters transmitted.

Benjamin Franklin

                    MWalter@hanoverwire
                    .com                      To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Fax to:
                    drange.com                Subject:     RE: EDI at midrange
sites - Off Topic??

                    02/04/2002 03:06 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Allot depends on the industry in which you do business. EDI is almost a
prerequisite for doing business with most of our large customers. OTOH, in
the 6 years that I have been here, I have only had one customer ask me
about XML. Very old school.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Walter
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Hanover Wire Cloth a div of CCX, Inc.
mwalter@hanoverwire.com
http://www.hanoverwire.com
717.637.3795 Ext.3040

                    "Ed Chabot"
                    <echabot@marlinfire        To:
<midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    arms.com>                  cc:
                    Sent by:                   Subject:     RE: EDI at
midrange sites - Off Topic??
                    midrange-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    01/04/02 03:02 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Scott,
I agree with the print and re-key argument, it's just that we only have 2
trading partners now and three more just requesting that we do EDI so it's
hard for us to justify the $40K and yearly maintenance of any of the AS/400
based packages.  We were/are doing some of the file transfer and
import/export type stuff but there is always a need for I.S.involvment
either at the programmer or at the operator level and I am trying to get
away from that.  I don't know if that is realistic but that is what I am
hoping for.

Ed Chabot
The Marlin Firearms Company
100 Kenna Drive