"Walden H. Leverich" wrote:

> All,
>
> Nathan and I have traded a couple off-list e-mails concerning web enablement
> options based on the shoot-out on his site mentioned in a prior midrange-l
> post. With his prior permission I'm bringing this thread back to midrange-l
> since we think it may be of interest to other midrange-l'ers.
>
> Nathan,
>
> I'm not very familiar with Net.Data so I can't comment on the comparison,
> but AFAIK there is no "cache" per-se in IIS so ASP pages would always be
> read into memory. Of course, there is the underlying disk cache so it's
> actually unlikely that you'd have a physical read if it was a frequently
> accessed page.

If you use ASP with compiled DLLs, you can set it up so that the
DLL is in memory and stays there, with a separate data area for
each session, and you can set session timeouts.

So if you have a web access that calls the DLL, it is loaded in
and stays there until the last session times out. This makes for
incredibly fast response, and a low resource profile. I give the
example of 1,000 simulatneous logins on our elearning product
that is compiled VB6 dll.

That 's on NT 4, running on a 64MB 100 mhz (real old) Pentium.

I noticed an article that mentions magnetic RAM (hows that for
full circle?) Doesn't have the speed or capacity of DRAM yet,
but give them time.

Brad Jensen

--
Brad Jensen brad@elstore.com
President

LaserVault Report Retrieval & Data Mining
www.Laservault.com

www.eufrates.com - Add distance learning to
your site with easy course preparation