----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@PlutaBrothers.com>

> Try to run an
> application that needs to sort a hundred million customer records on a
1GHz
> Windows machine as opposed to a lowly 252MHz iSeries, and you'll see what
> mean.

Does Oracle or Sql Server on a pc server run slower than DB2/400 ?   (
actual question )

> A well written RPG application still processes database transactions
faster
> than any Windows machine.  So I question what you mean my "modern
> programming language" and instead I'd ask you to define a specific
> application where the iSeries box does not measure up to a Windows
machine.

( the following is based on a 560 cpw model 720 )

ODBC or ADO from w2k to w2k is much faster than from w2k to iSeries. ( based
on 2 examples from my limited experience )

We tried to store an image systems image files on the IFS of a central as400
instead of the central NT file server. Performance of the NT file server was
much better.  Not even close.

Data queue and DDM between as400's and pc to as400 is too slow.

No "modern programming" examples ( I tried to respond in that vein in a
response to Phil Hall ),  but these are examples of modern applications.

> My guess is that not one database-intensive application will appear in
your
> list, which simply bolsters my contention that we need to focus on the
> iSeries as a database transaction server, and leave the CPU intensive
stuff,
> particularly graphics, to the gigahertz desktop machines.

I disagree strongly that applications have to be written to the underlying
hardware and platform.  This increases complexity if you dont mind me
trotting out that word again. It stinks that we need NT in our shop. Makes
system operation and integration much more difficult.

Give the as400 the faster powerPc cpu that is available now. I can prove
that large system sales will not be canibalized and IBM will make more
profits than less.  With the 3x faster cpu the iSeries will be much more
competitive with NT.

Steve Richter