>Steve:
>This is not trivial.  The slow cpu of the iSeries prevents modern
>programming languages from being used on our system.

>Leif: (taken somewhat out of context)
>Use the AS/400 for what it is good at.
>Use the right tool for the job. Use an Intel
>screamer for what it does best.

I don't know if it boils down strictly to programming languages, but I know
what Steve means.  Even two and three year old dinosaur AS/400's are
inadequate as web servers (or Domino app servers, etc.) because some online
transaction can require much, much more processing in an HTML or Java
application.  A 4550 CPW 740 might serve as a pathetic web server.  A new
270 with a fraction of the CPW would blow the doors off the 740 in a broad
range of newer technology applications.

CPW is a measure of traditional AS/400 work.  Processor MHz might be a more
meaningful measure in some applications, but it has to be taken in context.
MHz (or MIPS, etc.) "scores" do not compare one to one across chips.  Still,
it's as Leif suggested -- our PHB's want it dumbed down to one number.
Remember when you'd buy a new stereo and your friends would ask, "How many
WATTS?!"

I don't, however, think you necessarily need to use an Intel screamer.
There are a great number of new Intel, HP, Apple, IBM iSeries/pSeries, etc.
processors that are fast enough to do the job.  You don't have to buy the
fastest if there are alternatives that more than meet your needs.

-Jim

James P. Damato
Manager - Technical Administration
Dollar General Corporation