----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Borts" <Andrewb@SETACORPORATION.com>
To: <web400@midrange.com>; <midrange-l@midrange.com>;
<RPG400-L@midrange.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2001 5:17 PM
Subject: RE: [WEB400] Who's doing Web work on iSeries? (was: ASP
on AS/400 Apache)

> Good to see some activity!
> I'm glad WEB programming on an AS/400 will NOT be associated
> with Latin, Sioux, or other such linguistic activities that are
dying.

> OK - Here's a step by step method to grabbing your
bosses/clients
> attention;
> 1) Here's the teaser - the Green Screen crowd need to go into
their
> bosses office and shout "We should E-mail the customers their
Bills"  -
> "Why" - Well we'll save a BUNCH on printing!
> 2) Then - "The Customers need a way of seeing their orders"
we'll save
> a bundle in manning the phones!
> 3) Then - "How about a forum to discuss our products" See above
reason!
> 4) Then - "Why not let them order the stuff on-line instead of
calling
> our 800#" - think of a call center available 23.999x7 they never
ask for
> holidays off, and they don't have to be retrained when they
quit!" See
> above reason!
> 5) Then - "Hey - lets get our Vendors to manage the stuff we've
been
> ripping off the damn fax machine!!" See above reason!
> 6) Then - "Hey - lets make the vendors manage their OWN
inventory!!"
> 7) Then - you'll get a call from the vendor "Hey - it's GREAT
doing
> business with you guys!!"

Warning: I am about to toot my own horn for a commercial product
that I think applies in this situation.

A simple way to jump start this development process is to use our
Content Express, which takes AS/400 spool files, splits them into
parts if necessary (such as individual invoices, purchase orders,
statements) , then emails the parts to customers or your own
people, and posts them on the web, and prints them if desired.
Each recipient gets an individual logon name and password, usually
generated from he report - such as customer number and last 4
digits of phone number, and they can set their own options - print
me, email me, web me, do all three, etc.

The product costs $10K, and it runs on a PC (you could run it on
the INS) . Email me at brad@elstore.com if you want a demo or
trial version, we offer a thirty day moneyback satisfaction
guarantee, and we are happy to ship on a PO or written order from
any AS/400 site. We are also happy to work with consultants on a
finders fee basis for any of our products, including LaserVault
archiving and imaging.

You can then have an instant web presence where it is most
visible - in customer service. You can then spend your development
efforts on revenue enhancers, such as adding a web payment side to
your bill presentment.

There are other products, which I consider less complete, from
other vendors, some of them being closer to programming tools
(which some of you prefer for their flexibility.)

Brad Jensen