On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 bdietz@3x.com wrote:

> 3) so the valid users is the key?  Or does it pick the userid up in the
>    data stream and use that??  Hate to have to key in all my users<ugh>

No, if "valid users" is not given, or is blank, then the share is not
restricted.  I.e. any user with a validated userid & password can connect.

The username & password are always validated against the UNIX password
database (or the emulated one, in this case) unless you tell it to use
certain users for the share, a guest account for the share, or a separate
domain server.

In those cases, you tell Samba (in smb.conf) which UNIX account to use,
so that it has some basis for checking security.

> 4) maybe I'll fiddle with swat.  I'll just bet it uses perl somewhere alond
>     the way

Not sure how well that would work on OS/400.  SWAT uses inetd, which I
think OS/400 does support, but I haven't worked with inetd on a non-UNIX
system before.   You'll also have to add an entry for SWAT into your
service table (with the WRKSRVTBLE command)

> 5) In my sleep deprived stupor I thought I read that if blank then any host
>     on the given subnet could access.  I remember 127.0.0.1 as being
>     special and needed.

Hmmm...  I guess it does say that. :)  I've never done that though, I
always specify my subnets. :)

Also make sure you're connecting from your LAN...  The NetBIOS protocol
doesn't work well over an inter-networked connection without WINS servers,
etc.  Tho the Samba smbclient doesn't have problems, Windows clients do.
(At least, Win98 and Win95 do...)