Scott gave excellent advice, identifying some commands that I knew were there
but forgot what they were.

The backup is not going to run in 2 hours left before your vacation based on
what you have said in the posts that I have read.  Some nites I leave the
backup running & go home, then in the morning my boss puts the backup tape
away, signs off the main console, and checks the printer running Ok ... for
some strange reason restart all subsystems at end of backup does not get the
alignment right.  But we can do this with assurance because it has been many
many months since something went wrong with the backup.

The last time something went wrong, the system was still in restricted mode,
first person into the building was not an IT person, went to main console,
did not understand anything, signed off, losing all the error messages,
signed back on as user applications, tried to run their stuff, crashed,
because all sub systems not yet up, left the mess for someone else to try to
figure out.

>  When I listed all active jobs, QSECOFR is listed under QBASE.  Safe guess
>  that I am not in console mode, so can't run this command?

As I stated earlier there are several ways that the 400 can be configured &
you been getting some great advice based on some assumptions about how it is
configured that might not be correct.  I believe that for QSECOFR to be
listed under QBASE you are either on the very simple 400 configuration that
most 400 not use now a days, or someone has mucked up your system pretty bad.

Mike clarified this but WARNING WARNING WARNING it is a real good idea not to
be making changes to how the 400 functions until after you locate your
console.  There are some things that just will not work right if tried from
other than the console & you can get in a mess that can only be fixed from
the console.

"Console" is not a "mode" but a place, a specific piece of hardware connected
to the 400 at a specific place on the system ... the very first address of
the very first port.

> It is showing the message
>  "ENDSBS *ALL NOT ALLOWED IN CURRENT ENVIRONMENT",
> along with other miscellaneous messages.

Ok, put the cursor on that error message & F1.

> Jill, when the AS/400 was first shipped the default controlling subsystem
>  was QBASE and bearing in mind this was years ago, as I recall everything
>  ran in there. 99% of sites split batch and interactive jobs into different
>  subsytems. This is where we talk about QCTL, QBATCH, QINTER etc. In order
>  to achieve this, system value QCTLSBSD needs to be set to QCTL rather than
>  QBASE. I suspect that the whole BACKUP menu is designed around the fact
>  that QCTL will be your controlling subsystem.

Mike ... our 400 used to be QBASE controlling subsystem but now it is QCTL.
When it was QBASE we used GO BACKUP every nite & GO SAVE 21 about once a
month.  Today we do GO SAVE 21 all the time.  Both worked on QBASE.  Both
worked on QCTL.  We have gone through a few OS4 upgrades and a switch in base
box in the interim.