Ok Adam,  Since I am new to this "thing" I will ask for help..

I ended up with at smb.conf at about that many lines.  I was not able to
bring up any shares though.
I tried to set up just one share for starters.  The environment is my win2k
PC and the 400 running samba aix 2.2.1.  I will have time tomorrow to check
out more.
<smb.conf>
 [global]
workgroup = ITS
netbios name = EBIZ01
server string = EBIZ01-Samba-Server
 [home]
comment = Home Directories
path=/home

Questions,  how important is the sambapasswd "program"?
All I want is a proof that it works, just a simple guest share of the /home
directory would be great.
Do you have to restart the smbd and nmbd "services", it appears that I do
not have to?
What is the purpose of the swat program.  It does not appear to be a
command line program?

>From my PC the NBTSTAT works and I can see the domain and the netbios name.
but when I try and browse or "net use" I got some such error that the
server did not exist any more.
I was dialed in at the time and I am not sure how stuff gets routed to the
"dial-in" network, but the share from the "regular" netserver came up fine.

I'm done rambling today.  Lets pick this up tomorrow.

I have all windows desktops and all servers running Linux at my company.  I
have setup samba.  If you have any questions, I can help.  The smb.conf is
really not that tough.  It is intimidating with the amount of parameters it
can have, but to get running you can usually do it with between 3-10 lines.

Adam Lang