Walden,

I think all of your points are pretty valid.  Again the criteria I use is
AS/400 integration and skill set.

None of us have an idea of your environment(s) and skills so our points may
not specifically valid for you but they can be very valid for us or someone
else.

If the server itself is to be integrated with an existing AS/400
environment or application then a lot of points are very valid.  If the
server is intended to be more standalone they lose strength.

Someone's specific  environment will dictate whether some of the items are
valid.  For example, we use Ops Nav extensively so why would I want to use
something else?  If you are using something else I wouldn't expect you to
jump right on to the Ops Nav bandwagon.  The point for using Ops Nav isn't
wrong it may just not be applicable to someone's environment.  That doesn't
make it a bad idea.

8) Data exchange doesn't go over the network -- SO?
Well, so far as availability and security go my network is the weakest
link.  Switched networks are making security concerns a lot more moot but
it does reduce that risk.  Minor most likely but still valid.  Regarding
reliability and the ability to support the non-use of the network is
actually a big plus for us.  The speed gain is nice but I suppose that also
depends on your environments and needs.  True, network problems may make
most things unavailable since clients have a problem but for some
configurations and networks it is really nice to have data interchange
between two critical servers not be affected.  Very similar to one of the
benefits of LPAR.....

10) 24x7 maintenance -- Again huh? How does running W2K in an iSeries
enable that?
Again, this may be specific to us.  We maintain all servers 24x7 with
outside providers.  Some could argue that it's more expensive than keeping
extra servers around but I can't attest to that.  I maintain my AS/400
24x7.  If I put that card in it, it is maintained at 24x7 with no
additional expense.  Which, since the IXS is a simple card it's risk for
failure should be less than that of a external server but....you can slice
that a few different ways depending on your attitude and environment.

My read is that for you there may not be a compelling reason to do this.
However, I look at all of the items and would say for us (and then
potentially other customers) that most of the things are truly beneficial.
A definite 'it depends' kind of solution.........

We have about 10 NT/W2K servers in house.  Two of them are perfect for
integration so therefore they are.....the rest don't seem to fit the
mold.....so therefore they aren't.

                    "Walden H.
                    Leverich"             To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                    <WaldenL@TechSo       cc:
                    ftInc.com>            Subject:     RE: WHY would I run
Windows on my iSeries?

                    12/19/01 10:51
                    AM
                    Please respond