> I probably lost track of the thread somewhere and missed a
critical piece of info. I had gotten
> the impression that the major point of your device was to use
common (PC) compression functions
> in combination with a CD recorder. This would allow large
amounts of iSeries data to be
>  stored on relatively few CDs.
>
> If that were the case, then a RSTLIB or LODRUN that accessed
that
>  CD through my normal iSeries CD drive shouldn't work. Those
commands won't be
>  expecting .zip files or other PC file formats.

Okay, I understand now. I'm talking about several different uses
for this technology, and thinking out loud in the process.

I can see how this would be confusing.

The CD recorder I have on the market now can be used with or
without LODRUN, and read asis in an AS/400 CD reader.

The compression etc. is another product that I am working on.

> True, I could still "read" the compressed files, copying them
into streamfiles and
> possibly decompressing them as well by using various APIs,
commands, etc.; but that's
.  not the same as simply executing LODRUN or RSTLIB.

> So, where did I get lost in understanding?

I was meandering and you were walking a stright line. Sorry.

Even without the compression, I can't find a way to do files or
objects greater than 650 MB, although IBM told me that I could use
their CD-mastering technique to create larger backups. My guys
says that I still have to write my own procedure that will be
OPTIFILE to restore them.

> I think the product is a great idea for mass offline storage. I
just couldn't see how
> it would fit in with "normal" iSeries product distribution
media, and therefore it didn't seem worth
> your time to worry about LODRUN compatibility for now. In the
short run, just get the darn thing on the market!

Well, I hope to be shipping to beta testers in January.