From: Leif Svalgaard [mailto:leif@leif.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 14:36
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Teraspace memory allocation

From: Steve Richter <srichter@AutoCoder.com>

> A spcptr contains a 5 byte segment and a 3 byte offset.  The teraspace
> pointer is probably a 3 byte segment and a 5 byte offset with a high
> order bit in the segment portion telling the machine where the
> segment/offset division is. ( my  speculation ).

Investigating this would make a nice chapter in my eBook (I need to get back
to writing a few more chapters - gotta earn a living too and the day only
got 24 hours :).

AFAIK the division between segment and offset is completely arbitrary on the
PPC RISC machines. Segments are not mapped to memory in any special way, the
mapping is done on a page (4K) basis.

I hope that Walden would take some time to check this out. We could also
speculate together, but maybe we should move the discussion to the MI-list
then.