Al,

ICBW, but I think that's what's holding back the iNation.

I think there's many great things about the 38 and 400 that are getting
thrown out with the bath water:  CL, DDS, SEU.. to name but a few...

But the name isn't one of these things.

I fought harder than anybody, to keep the AS/400 name.  Starting Oct 3,2000
(I think) I quit using the name, except in a historical context.

IMHO, the EASIEST way, by far, to resurrect the true heritage of the 38/400
family (IMV) is to embrace the IDEA of the eServer.  IBM cannot and DOES NOT
WANT TO support 4 platforms.  However, that's what the market wants, and
needs, at this stage.  I don't think IBM would sell the "New Coke", if they
didn't HAVE to.  They'd mix the "New Coke" with the "Old Coke" in a second,
if they saw HOW to do that...

So what I think is that iCitizens can do a lot to help themselves, and help
preserve the heritage of the family line:

Make the iSeries a better *nix than *nix
Make the iSeries a better Windows than Windoze
(I agree with you, Al, that the iSeries is already a better mainframe than
mainframes)

=> Develop a way to better support the iSeries Community than IBM
education/support.  IMV, this is THE KEY...

I just don't see these things happening, at least any time soon, outside of
a strong iNation, but ICBW...

jt