Ron,

We we're looking to convert JPG/TIFF/BMP images to page segments
dynamically from the IFS and include them in our daily Shop
Floor printouts (which include Bill of Material and Routing data).

I've experimented with the QIMGCVTI and its a real PITA. Ran into
numerous errors being returned and the IBM help line was basically
worthless. Their solution: "Purchase Infoprint Server for the iSeries".
Unfortunately, its very expensive ($10,000). We were licky to have
another project (PC based) get shelved at the end of the year which
allowed us to move the money around and buy it ;-)

Infoprint Server does have some image conversion abilities. Check out
this link for further info:

http://www.printers.ibm.com/R5PSC.NSF/Web/ipserv400Home

We just finished moving from an S20 to an 820 at V5R1. Hopefully
the System programmer will be able to install this sometime in
January and I'll be able to play with it.

Another idea may be Hijaak Pro which runs under NT -- if your
drawings are available on a PC Network.  Supposedly, you can
convert JPG to MODCA format, which then can be wrapped with
begin/end structures and then converted to AFPDS page segments.

You can also use the AFP Workbench viewer that comes with
Client Access to produce overlays/segment structures. These can
then be moved to the IFS and also converted. But if you have a
*lot* of images this is a manually intensive process.

I don't consider this useful for dynamic day-to-day work. From
what I've seen, getting images converted and moved to the AS/400
is a nightmare -- if you want to do serious work.

Best of luck -- your going to need it :)

Terry