Perhaps my situation has something screwed up that is not your standard
scenario.

In the beginning there were places where you could select the option to use
IBM system reply list when things go wrong ... example GO SAVE bottom 2nd
screen.

If you log the process & study what did go wrong that was auto replied to, in
theory you could say that for this or that scenario you really want something
else to occur, but how do you implement that so it works?

Back on S/36 when I used a custom reply list for error conditions, what the
deal was ... after everyone gone home for the nite, I started a job running
that included a backup, validation of part of the backup, re-IPL, the startup
started some stuff, there were jobs we wanted every nite.  I studied the log
regularly of what errors occurred in the process & I added to the custom
reply list.

The big problem in S/36 days was it would remember the last reply used & if
there was nothing in the reply list for the message received, then it used a
copy of the last reply used, as opposed to any global default being made
available.

OS/400 is an advantage over that in that you can monitor for unknown message
& have something happen, like capturing that unknown message circumstances
for the programmer, in addition to all the error conditions you are expecting.

Today I am on BPCS which has a library for user messages, meaning stuff we
want to add to the collection ... a modification for example can say that
this or that is invalid & it is referring to some feature that is not in
vanilla BPCS ... but sometimes we not entirely happy with the error message
phraseology & default choices of what comes with the package.  Suppose there
is an error message in interactive processing & the user not understand it &
just press enter - it grabs the default option.

So we go into that error message reply list & alter the rules so that if the
user just presses enter, the least harmful option in general is taken.  We
also adjust phraseology of error message so more users comprehend what just
happened.  We do this to scores of error messages in the vendor package.

Then along comes a new version of the vendor package.  Our library list now
has the new version in library list in front of the version we have tinkered
with, and software never gets to what we have tinkered with.  So we have an
update software CL.  There is a library that ONLY has copies of what we have
changed.  The CL merges the latest vendor version with our copies such that
the result has our copies replacing the vendor version with rest of vendor
intact & our copies library also intact so we can do this again in the new
version.

That is simple enough, but then we have stuff from several vendors.

So while you are saying there is all this IBM stuff & it is in one place, I
am saying that programmers can stick changes in front in library list,
vendors do this often, but seems to me that error messages do not work the
same way as programs.

LOAD PROGRAM X
It goes through library list 1 2 3 4 5 library until it finds PROGRAM X which
could be in libraries 5 7 9 11 but what is loaded is the version in library 5

ERROR MESSAGE 1234
It goes through library list 1 2 3 & finds error message member in library 3
which does not have error message 1234 ... that is actually in library 4 ...
it quits looking

> Subj:  Re: Question about MONMSG
>  From:    David.X.Kahn@gsk.com
>
>  Al Mac wrote:
>
>  > Something worth clarifying is when there are multiple
>  > error message lists.
>
>  What do you mean by error message lists? Reply lists, message files or
>  something else?
>
>  > Suppose you reference an error message in some reply list
>  > & there are several reply lists by that name in several
>  > libraries in the library list & suppose the error message
>  > you looking for is not in the first list it gets to ...
>  > will OS/400 search all lists to get to the first one that
>  > has that error message, or will it quit at the first list
>  > that it finds?
>
>  The system wide inquiry message reply list I know about. What are these
>  other reply lists that exist in different libraries?
>
>  Dave...
>                 _________  ,___o
>               __________   _\ <;_
>             ___________   (_)/ (_)       http://www.twickenhamcc.co.uk