Since I asked the question let me address James's and Scott's comments. I
agree that for something like telnet it is silly to have the extra
connection and programming to retrieve the port, but telnet has a IANA
assigned port, it's IS a bloody standard. What about site-specific tools and
applications?

Case in point, I'm developing a PC tool that needs to connect to a listening
socket on the AS/400. How do I know what port to use? Well, I'll just pick
one, what about 12345? OK, everyone hear that? I'M USING 12345, you can't
use it because you might want to use my tool. That is silly, some day, some
where there will be a collision, why not work out a scheme where these
collisions are avoided from the start. You want it on port 12345, fine put
an entry in the service table for com.techsoftinc.pwdtool on port 12345, you
want 54321, fine put that in there it doesn't matter to me.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President
Tech Software